Sunday 11 December 2016

Writer Goes Worldwide

A few weeks ago, I got a notification on my Twitter account stating that someone followed me.It wasn't someone,but something.It's an official account of a magazine called The Affinity Magazine.A little stalking has been done and they even have a tick beside their names to ensure that they're the only official account.I was like,homagad they must be a famous magazine if Twitter was hands down on verifying them.

The Affinity Magazine is a teen magazine that was written by a range of teen writers for the peers.It has a lot of topics to talk about from serious politics to entertainment and real life issues,woah all of the articles are brilliantly written.The application to become a writer is all-year round so I just gave it a shot.I sent in one of my blog posts which is my report on Sarawak Cultural Village during my visit to Sarawak last year.Yes,no jokes were erased and absolutely nothing was changed.I just copied all my goofiness and pasted it at the sample writing column.Aye that can't be good because no writers in there joke around and I totally lost hope and flatlayed myself on the floor,gratefully no one thought that I'm a fat fur rug.

I checked my email everyday as it is my daily routine for updates/invitations/etc until one day,there's an email in the inbox titled 'Open This Quick!' from Evelyn V.Woodsen and I read it carefully to check if it's a scam or whatever cyberbullying and cybersafety is all about.

'Congrats!
We really enjoyed looking over your application and reading your writing samples. The Affinity team was impressed with your style of writing and approach and would love to formally offer you a position as a staff writer. '

That was the day that I finally thought that I can rest in peace.

I got the job guys! I am a real writer for a magazine!Woohoohoo! *dances like how i dance to 24K Magic*

but this job doesn't come easy.When I say that I'm a real writer,I AM A REAL WRITER.I have to write an article once a week and submit it for the editors to review,learn to put credentials and cites on sources that doesn't come from myself especially photos and not all of my articles will be accepted.I may get rejected and turned down.In fact,I am waiting for the review of my first ever article for Affinity whether it is approved or not to be published.The scare is real.I rather be in a haunted house.Wait,nope.No haunted houses.Never.

I see all of these in the bright side,of course.The editorial board wants me to be commited to my job,be alarmed with the news happening around me and make some space for myself to grow and improve my writing to become a better writer/journalists because most of the writers here will go off and work for high end companies like The Huffington Post and MTV and obviously I would like to have the honour to be the first hijabi hosting the worldwide MTV show,who knows aite?A world without boundaries.

Given the space and time,I would like to thank everyone that has been supporting me from Day 1 throughout my journey in writing from building up my passion to getting a place in an international online teen magazine team of writers.I love all of you that has been kind to me.You are never forgotten.

Taking a deep breathe and let's hope that everything will work out just fine.

Xx,
M.

No comments: