Monday 8 February 2016

Kindness Project:PERTIWI Soup Kitchen

I have been eager to help out in voluntary works because I think it's cool and eye opening,and now I can surely say it is because I finally did it!!! Kudos to me!
     It all started when my seniors asked for some volunteers to help out at the center as they have this event every Monday night.I was really determined to go since I didn't get to help out during the first session last year,so let's give it a shot.I asked Mom to come along and at first she was super reluctant of going,being overly concerned of security blablabla.I just asked her, "Do you wanna be rich or not?!" She quickly nodded.Whoa that's easy haha.
    There were 8 of us who went for the session including me.The six of us met up infront of Quill City Mall while the other 2 had already waited at the center.We were quite blur about what is going to happen because most of us haven't been there before and don't know what to expect.We brought along cakes,breads and bottled drinks to give out.My friend sent us the exact location and it was a 7 minute walking distance from the mall.Sigh.Looking like immigrants,we walked to Jalan Medan Tuanku,carrying the goods like we're making a car boot sale.
       
 Upon our arrival,we saw loads of people outside the center getting ready to pick up the food,but one of my friend said to me that it was not considered a crowd compared to the nights that she has been before.O.....kay.
  Looking at us bringing lots of goods,the security guard let us in.That time,a volunteer named Sheena was giving a briefing to the newbies (including us) so we listened tentatively although we may have skipped the last 10 minutes of her speech.She reminded us always smile and pay attention to everything that is going on because there are many people and we do not know what is yet to come.She said what we could see is not even half of the chaos they have to face during usual nights.Also,strictly no handphones as it is rude to serve the people while scrolling Instagram and mugglers can be anywhere.
   
 Look at the walls!Very friendly!

Not long after the briefing,the food truck came and they started to unload the foods and setting up stations.There will be a few stations which is the food truck where they collect the main meal;rice,maybe some cakes or breads and a cup of drink each.I was placed at the food truck to disribute the main meal to the people.At the first start,I became a runner.A runner is a person that assists children or the elderly during food distribution.I helped a boy to get everything at all stations and he kept making dinosaur sounds at me.I wanted to join too but it would be embarassing.As we reached the last stop,he quickly sipped the syrup drink and exclaimed, "Sedapnya!" I laughed instantly.There was also a girl who approached me and asked, "Cantik dalam bahasa Inggeris apa?" I responded "Beautiful".She tried to repeat what I said, "Byutifool".Haha.I looked out for her after the distribution ended but I guess she went home already.I wish I could tell her that she is beautiful too.


After the distribution ended,we actually found out that the founder of the soup kitchen was an OGA and was also in green house!Her name is Aunty Munirah and she brought us around the center and showed us a garden that they are putting efforts on but due to excessive sunlight....well,you know what happened.She said this soup kitchen was an initiative to help the homeless people and making connection with them so that we could help them in other aspects as well.She said we should continue this soup kitchen so there will always be TKCians around to continue the legacy.Of course,for a good cause!

I have pledged to myself that I will return for the other sessions and be part of other voluntary works too.If you are interested of joining the soup kitchen,do contact them via Facebook PERTIWI Soup Kitchen.Let's make the world a better place for us all!

Xx,
M.

No comments: