Wednesday 15 May 2019

City Lights

"It would be fun to do stargazing kan, sayang?"

We were walking towards the Sandy carpark from a convenience store nearby to get Amir's daily dose of coffee. He was always more hyped than me but I think he surpasses my nap quotas in Ramadhan. He cannot live without his coffee, let it be anything, as long as it's coffee, but his favourite is iced latte without sugar. I can't steal his drinks because I'm not a coffee drinker, but he will always give in and pour some sugar for me whenever he sees me reaching for the straw. 

Amir looked upwards and analysed the sky. "We live in the city, sayang. We can't see the stars". I sighed. I remembered back in college when I used to stargaze with Starfools at TASA, which explains the origin of our group name. Sometimes, Elle and I would ditch our books and let the time pass by lying down at the World Map landmark and pour our hearts out to the moon. Whenever we can't sleep and it has passed lights off hours, my friends and I would lie down on the bench to look at the stars too. Oh, I miss those times. Now, it is only lights from tall office and apartment towers, but that is okay too, because it reminds me of my childhood where my dad would take my mom and I for a drive around Klang town at late night to grab some supper. 

As we reach Polly and I unlock her, Amir walked to the boot of the car. I was clueless on what is going on because he was supposed to enter the passenger seat and hang out like we used to in the car. He opened up the boot and sat in it. "I have never done this before", I said, while adjusting myself to sit beside him in the boot compartment. "I always do this with Bukit", he said. He might have listened to my stories tentatively on how I missed stargazing a lot and it is impossible to just lie down in the rocky sands of the carpark that consists of God knows what and I'm scared to lie down on Polly's roof, hence that was why he came up with the idea. This man, always finding ways to make me happy  .

We sat at the boot and had pointless conversations as usual. I annoyed him with Justin Bieber's songs from Confident all the way to Baby because he doesn't really like him, and grooved to Drake's One Dance while giving our point of views on his albums. Our boot was facing the Sunway tower landmark. I was not sure on what exactly is that but seeing the whole city light up from the boot of my car is incredible and cures the ache from missing the stars back in Enstek. It is just the little moments that cannot be bought with money nor time that keep us in tact as individuals and keeps me sane. I wish that I can properly do stargazing next time with my best friends and the love of my life soon!

Xx,
M.

No comments: