Tuesday 9 May 2017

Chocolate Cereal

I stirred a bowl of chocolate cereal
added some water, poured more powder
ate a mouthful by myself
then I remembered how you used to share.

I would always swing by your meal times
when I heard the can was open
I would drop all my toys and
faithfully wait beside you at
the dining table.
Grandpa arrived with
your blue embroidered bowl
and red plastic cup,
shoved the spoon towards you
but he noticed his little angel
opened her mouth wide too.

an aeroplane with a zigzag route
his arm became
tirelessly filling two empty stomaches
while watching 3pm cartoons on TV.

that is not all.
squishing each other on a seat on
your wheelchair during exhausting
zoo outings
your mattress where sometimes
I laid to rest while you're at school
your cranes and tractors that became
my possession due to Bob The Builder

even when I'm on my worst moods
and you had to endure the smacks
you would cheerfully smile,
because there is no other
beautiful words that you can convey
and I'm glad you don't have to know
any other syllable.

Grandpa doesn't make those cereals
anymore
and there is no one staring behind the
metal locks waiting for a new guest
nor the jingles of the keys as you drag
them along around the house

i kept on stirring the chocolate cereal
and ate mouthfuls
as it is the only bridge of memories
that I have
with my Paksu.

Your cheer and smile will always bless my journey.
Al-Fatihah.

No comments: