Thursday 5 July 2018

A Newborn Baby

                               "Dear, I'm having a meeting on Monday. Come and join us"
I literally left the text on read and threw it to the back of my pillow. My week has been messed up and so did my brain. I didn't have the energy to even wake up. Besides, it was usual for Cikgu to take me to his meetings to come and nod when they were discussing things that I wasn't involved in. Well, I actually do eavesdrop their discussions although my eyes were stuck on the laptop/phone/book, I eventually learn something. As a person that doesn't like to be left hanging, I replied a few hours later after I felt soberer. "What is it about? It's not an order, right?"

                      "Yes, it is. The board of directors of the company is having a meeting, and you are one of them"

What. The. Actual. Fish. Cake. (I swear a lot but in case the elders see this). No, he's being ridiculous. He has always been ridiculous. I mean, I do all the typing for him but not as the main line of his company, no way! I'm just 18, messed up, no financial support, knows zero about management, and now I am a board of director of a company? Is he serious? 

I swear, I bombarded him with a lot of questions for him to change his mind. "How is that you are allowed to make such decision without the agreement of a majority?" "Isn't it too young for me to do all this?" "I can't manage myself, how am I supposed to manage a company?" "How are you so confident about this?"

He shut me down with one answer:

"It's my company, I can do whatever I want"

Oh well :)

The next day, I was really contemplating to go and decided to tell him that I'm not going because I am so shocked of the news. It was so sudden. I mean, he has always arrange things for me and my future, but it was too much for me to comprehend. Imagine snuggling in your blanket after a mental breakdown and you were told that you will have a big responsibility ahead of you. Double trouble. I replied that I was not going and snuggled in my blanket again until I opened my eyes and checked my phone. He was on my way in 12 minutes. This man I tell you, will do anything when he wants to get it done. 

Yes guys, I dragged myself to the meeting with a hoodie and joggers. I listened what the hell should I do and what my role was. So basically, I had to manage a publishing company that is under my name and the director thing is so complicated but I think that is all you need to know. Another shocking news; I will have my own publishing company for real. That publishing company is for a cause and mission though, I can't simply publish all the stuff that I want especially without Cikgu's approval, I will die the second he knows I am doing something else behind his back with the company. I was planning to start another independent publishing press where I can publish all my poems as I progress and know my way in the industry. 

Fast forward a week later, I had register my company under SSM with my name as the sole owner! I was proud that I did all the documentation alone with my mother sitting there with her tablet, but the procedures were actually super easy and fuss-free. Please go to Putrajaya if you want to get all government-related stuff done. I have an unpopular opinion that Putrajaya is the only city that is carefully preserved by the government. It is clean, the architecture for each building is mesmerizing, the scenery and view are just breathtaking. Other than KL, Elle and I will have our Putrajaya edition shoot soon. Oh, she's in UiTM Dengkil now taking law, finally, someone that I can refer to when I want to find evidence to support my study cases and reports. 

Honestly, I have mixed feelings when this company was given to me. It was all that I dreamed of and it was given to me just like that. The idea of being fully involved in crafting your words and turning it into a solid spined book is what I have ever wished for. Being present in the process A-Z is what I hoped for. It doesn't matter if it is genuinely my thoughts or rewriting other people's stories, I have always found a special connection with the paragraphs and words that I write. Also, the idea of doing projects with your loved ones; Mama and Cikgu guiding me all the way, and having our names printed at the front cover side by side or on top of one another is just, you know, how cool is that? Despite our super petty fights, we managed to work out and do something out of it. 

I am still trying to work out on what to do with this company. For now, I just need a team of three; to handle Accounting and Finance, and Design. I'm planning to pull Elle into the company because she loves books and she has a good entrepreneurship skill, she'll ace in marketing. She's also good in management so there'll be a check and balance in the company. While waiting for her vending machine dream to come true, we'll focus on this first. I'll learn how to print and all that during the semester break that is a week away so let's hope I'll learn fast!

This will be a very long journey, but I can't afford to waste people's trust in me to do this. Bismillah, in God's will, I will ace this. 

Wish me luck!

Xx,
M.



No comments: