Wednesday 9 November 2016

Patient

i was unconscious and numb.
i couldn't twich when the nurses
poked needles through my veins
to flow a river of hope
somehow they found out in science
that the waves crashing the walls
of my heart will keep it beating
but your fingers that read my
stitched palms  like Braille
and brought them close
to your lips for every silent
prayer that made me alive.
the only stimulus that i could feel
was your strands of hair that brushed
the ends of my left arm from the start
until the shift of the moon ended
i felt cruel.
i couldn't lift it to wrap around your
shoulders when you bury your
head in my blanket beside my hip
gave up defending your tumbling
fort and cry.
each drop of tear that you shed was
my strength until i was able to open my eyes
to  see your smile.
i won't forget the warmth of your hug that put
my grudges and anger on fire.
when the doctor took off the breathing mask
from suffocating my face
i could exhale forgiveness.

i am still crawling to stand
on my wobbling feet
but i am no longer afraid to
fall
because i am assured that
you are always here
to catch me from every failure.

and that makes all the pain
worth healing.




No comments: